Many people over the years have told me how Christian our founding fathers were but I have found that our founding fathers had some very harsh things to say about Christianity. I put together a few of their statements. See if you know who said them.
I have thrown in quotes by the following. Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, Ben Franklin, Thomas Paine, and John Adams. I also threw in some quotes by Saddam Hussein, Gaddafi, and Hitler just to throw you off a bit.
1) “During almost fifteen centuries has the legal establishment of Christianity been on trial. What have been its fruits? More or less in all places, pride and indolence in the Clergy, ignorance and servility in the laity, in both, superstition, bigotry and persecution.”
2) “But how has it happened that millions of fables, tales, legends, have been blended with both Jewish and Christian revelation that have made them the most bloody religion that ever existed? How has it happened that all the fine arts, architecture, painting, sculpture, statuary, music, poetry, and oratory, have been prostituted, from the creation of the world, to the sordid and detestable purposes of superstition and fraud?”
3) “There exists, I believe, throughout the whole Christian world, a law which makes it blasphemy to deny, or to doubt the divine inspiration of all the books of the Old and New Testaments, from Genesis to Revelations….Books that cannot bear examination, certainly ought not to be established as divine inspiration.”
4) “Those who fight in God’s cause will be victorious.”
5) “What we have to fight for is the freedom and independence… so that our people may be enabled to fulfill the mission assigned to it by the Creator.”
6) “I have found Christian dogma unintelligible”
7) “No oppressed or deceived or wrong, no master and no slave, but free brothers in a society over which, God willing, shall flutter the banner of brotherhood and quality. “
8) “Persecution is not an original feature in any religion; but it is always the strongly marked feature of all religions established by law. Take away the law-establishment, and every religion re-assumes its original benignity.”
1) James Madison
2) John Adams
3) Thomas Jefferson
4) Saddam Hussein
6) Ben Franklin
8) Thomas Paine
How many did you get? Yes, these are just a few quotes and there were many founding fathers. Many of them it is hard to find quotes on Jesus or Christ. They often use God providence or Almighty. Even so I get the feeling that they are not unlike the politicians of today that use God, Christ, and religion to get elected. Publicly they played the part, but privately they showed their true self. I’m sure that there were some that were Christians, but often it is made to seem like they all were deeply devoted Christians and they were not.
Where I got some of the quotes.